Monday, August 25, 2008

Cultural Christianity (funny but depressing)


After my last posting on Obama vs. The Rain Prayers I thought it can't get any worse than this. Well, it has. I came across this website which collects a different image of Jesus created by Christians from all over. I don't know if the site is run by non-Christians or not, but clearly Christians have domesticated Jesus to an extent where the Son of God, Lord and Savior, the God-Man who is the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, who is worthy of glory and honor and power and praise, the Lamb who was slain from the foundations of the world, is reduced in total to "Jesus is my friend." Awww. Isn't that sweet. Like, my favorite Jesus, like of all time, is like, the Buddy Jesus from that, like, Dogma movie.

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present: Jesus of the Week (in stereo & Technicolor [tm] )

And I heartily recommend this particular Jesus, which comes from our brothers across the sea, The French. Be sure and click the link at the end of the commentary for more alien Jesus fun. (granted, this last one is not a Christian contribution)

It is a sad indication that Western Christianity has little if any ability to present the Lord Jesus Christ to its culture in any way that is faithful to who Jesus really is - that is, the Jesus of the New Testament. Most of the best cultural and pop cultural presentations of Christ actually come from non-Christians these days (for example, Spielberg's Amistad). I would loved to be proved wrong on this. Any takers?

4 comments:

Chris said...

May the manufacturer takes the "Wild at Heart" interpretation and Jesus is actually a soccer hooligan.

Ben and Amy said...

Does this mean I should return the 'Dashboard Jesus' I got you for your birthday?

Chuck Dotson said...

So, are you trying to say that Jesus can't beat those two little punks in soccer??!

Your God is not big enough, sir.

BPhillips said...

I think Jesus could beat those kids in soccer, even in sandals. And to Amy, no you don't need to return the dashboard Jesus!